Saturday, September 6, 2008

Palin redux

OK, I lied. In my last blog, I really was trying to write as if I were thinking like an independent voter, but in my heart I knew I could not. And after reading what other so-called independent voters were saying to pollsters, I was amazed that actually, I got it about right! Nevertheless, now that the dust has cleared, I have other thoughts, both about Sarah Palin and the whole convention.

First, it just amazes me that voters who have been swayed to the Republican ticket by her are voting for it because she is "just like me." When I heard that people actually make decisions based upon who is most like them, I thought I was witnessing the decline and fall of the Western world, and I still do. I mean, I think I have a healthy dose of self-regard (as does every blogger who deludes him/herself into thinking that people actually want to know what they think), but I don't think someone like me ought to be President, or Vice President, and you shouldn't either! Sheesh! Much has been written about Palin having boundary issues with her family. But really, it is the American electorate with the boundary problem if our vote is driven by our identification with their lives as opposed to their positions on the issues.

Second, as a social worker by profession, I found her belittling of community organizers offensive (and I'm not the only one). But really, it was more telling than that: it revealed her as someone with absolutely no regard for minority and low-income communities, the problems they face, and their resilience. Community organizing efforts have been the last resort of these neighborhoods when their governments fail them. It's an honorable tradition and an honorable profession, especially in Chicago, where Jane Addams' Hull House saved so many new immigrants to this country during the turn of the last century. I hope Obama slams her on this, and that the 36 (out of 2,380 total) African-American RNC delegates figure out where her allegiances lie.

Boy, I could go on and on. But I'm anxious to get to my next blog, about Bush's labelling of his opponents as "the angry left" during his speech. I thought that one was really rich.

8 comments:

keighty said...

Maybe Jane Addams' work is why she hates community organizers-- she was the first person to officially offer sympathy for those darned illegal aliens the lefties keep advocating for.

Silly community organizers/social workers.

alicel said...

Hi Keighty--of course, what I didn't say is that Jane Addams used her own money to start and run Hull House because she didn't believe in government money for these purposes! She probably would have loved McCain/Palin!

Simran Sethi said...

Here is what I cannot understand. Why the heck would someone want a leader "just like us"? I want a leader BETTER than me. Someone who is smarter than me, fights harder than me, leads by example and inspires me to do more and be more.
Can you imagine Palin on an international stage? I can't. I won't. I will fight like hell to be better than I have ever been & work harder than I ever have to inspire people who are on the fence to fall to the left. The implications of not doing so leave me more despondent than I was in the Bush years.
Thanks for these great posts, Alice.

Anonymous said...

Palin's half-truths, omissions, truth stretchers...and down right lies...are going to catch up with her. She's already been caught on the airplane deal that she sold at a loss (maybe to a contributor), dairygate, the bridge to nowhere (highly supported by Sen. Pat Roberts, btw), earmarks that keep popping up everywhere, a stab at censorship at firing a librarian, taking credit for being mayor when they had a city manager who did all the work (usually the mayor just chairs the meeting and votes if there is a tie)...well, the list keeps getting longer. I loved it when she said she and Todd eloped because they had no money for a wedding; characteristically, she neglected to mention she was also 2 + months pregnant which was probably more of an issue than money. Anne Kilkenny is doing well spreading her records around. And, I don't have any problem doing the same.

All this is to say I really enjoy your blog. Keep up the good work.

Oh...my good friend Sammy Finke is director of the Obama campaign in KS and is headquartered in Lawrence. She's exhausted and could use some help if you could round up a few willing hands for her.

peg http://kansasprairie.net/kansasprairieblog/

alicel said...

Thanks so much, Prairiennui! Actually, Sam Finke is our darling former student, and I have signed up to do some work in there, but first I have to call the names on my www.mybarackobama.com list. I said I would and I will! And I will tell Sam that you signed in. Thanks again!

Al

prairie said...

It appears I may have solved my google login problem, so I'm just checking.

Today I talked with several of my older gal friends, some are Democrats...and they love Sarah. I just don't get it. We have too many people who don't read newspapers or watch the news on TV. They should be required to watch Rachel every night :) So, Sarah can juggle a breast pump and a Blackberry with her work. Does that qualify her to be President? They think so.

TK said...

So hey- what do you teach? have we met at some point? I would imagine so. Did you attend any of the few times Tom Frank spoke in Lawrence? (Arts Center, then Ballroom, then Dole Center). Tom's a close friend; I write for his journal, The Baffler. Drop me a note with an email address; I've got a project I'd like to talk to you about.

spacemouseband@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

AliceL, I have Palin fatigue.
She concerns me about as much as Octomom (trademark).
Also there are some good progressive blogs in good ol' Kanass. Since you're not on wordpress I'll just leave a URL.

http://iggydonnelly.wordpress.com/
There are more, but it takes some looking.
~sekanblogger